History Hotel Alte Goste
The Puster Valley became one the most important connections between the Holy Roman Empire and Italy (especially Venice) over the centuries. As the numerous milestones found in this area witness, including the one of the Goste, the area had had this privileged function since the Roman times.
Then, during the Middle Ages, the whole road system of the area was developed on the ancient Roman ways, which probably had been built on previous ways, as well.
The Tyrolean account books prove that the roads had been enlarged since the second half of the 13th century and that lodgings, inns and obviously customs could be found along the main ways. Later on, the monopoly on hotels and food services was granted to some families upon the payment of a tax.
A property on the hill of Goste was mentioned for the first time in 1147, when a ministerial, Gisila, presented the monks of the cloister Neustift with part of a “Hof an der Costen”.
At the beginning of the 16th, the Goste was granted the privilege to make bread and manage a bakery. The first innkeeper to be known by name was Gilg Stainer, mentioned as “Wirt an der Costen” in 1557.